Thursday 21 July 2016

Things I'm Loving Right Now: July 2016

I have decided that because it has been so long since I was regularly blogging I should revisit the posts that I have written previously which focus on the subject of things i'm loving right now.  I am a fickle fickle person with constantly changing 'faves' and so considering the length of time since I last updated the blogisphere about my favourite things it's about time I did it again.

So anyway in the words of Maria, these are a few of my favourite things (as of July 2016)

FILMS
Recently my mother dearest informed me that she had a weekly code which allowed me to buy one cinema ticket and get another one for free, this paired with my friend's unlimited cinema card allows us to get into one movie a week for free.  This has allowed me to undertake many a wonderful cinema trips this month.  Some highlights include: 

Ghost Busters

Best film of the year
Okay so honestly previous to like 2 weeks ago the extent of my Ghost Busters knowledge was the logo and the fact that Bill Murray was one of the stars.  However, capitalizing on this Meerkat movie code Sarah and I decided to go see Ghost Buster's and within the first 5 minutes of the film I knew it was going to be a good one, I mean it was a bunch of badass ladies catching ghosts!  Then when the Ghost Busters theme began to play I realised it was not only a good film but it was also going to become a firm favourite of mine, I mean that song got me so pumped and I found myself wishing that I too was a ghost buster.  I feel  fully equipped with the know how to protect myself if worst comes to worst and my city becomes ghost infested.
The film has received a lot of unjust criticism which I think might stem from peoples distaste of the film being remade, especially remade with a female cast.  #Meninist at their best imo...

Highlights:  
  • The girl power
  • Kate Mckinnon
  • The way it made you feel like you were a part of a big franchise/something special.
  • The music
Overall rating: 9/10 
(I can't think of anything it could have done better to earn it a 10/10 but 10s are very hard to come by and are mainly reserved for Titanic)

Now You See Me 2

Now you see me, now you dont
Another film that I went to see for free thanks to the Meerkat code was NYSM2.  I loved the first film, it was so clever and action packed.  Initially it took me a while to get to grips with what was happening at the start of NYSM2 because it is a pretty complicated plot to follow but before long I was all caught up.  I'm not going to lie, I love these films but at least 96% of my desire to see this film was based off of wanting to see Dave Franco's face on the big screen... and boy did the film deliver!  I do not feel any more capable of carrying out magic tricks or tossing cards than I did before seeing this film but I guess they never claimed that the film had any educational purposes so I cant hate them for that!  I found the Woody Harrelson twin character and the new female horseman a little irritating at times (ok so the twin was 100% annoying and the girl was only like 60% annoying) but the film was really enjoyable, not as good as the first one but still great for a sequel and I would definitely go see the next one (because there will for sure be a next one, lets be real).  

Highlights
  • Dave Franco and his beautiful face and his beautiful voice
  • The card tricks 
  • The magic and plot twists  
  • Dave Franco
Overall rating: 7/10


Sleeping With Other People

Love is all around
This film is the last in the list and the only one which did not include meerkats codes or a trip to the cinema.  This was a film recommended by Beth, I was happy to watch it because it starred two actors I liked -  Jason Sudeikis (a great performance in We're The Millers which is one of my fave comedy films) and Alison Brie (who plays my fave character in community, seems like a fun gal and my only negative of her stems from my jealous of her engagement to my sweet Dave Franco, whom I may have mentioned above?).  The film was probably not that good in reality but I loved it.  It was pretty cute and had its funny moments, a classic easy watch and pretty good in terms of romcoms.  The creepy guy in the filmed turned out to be Leslie Knope's husband from Parks and Rec which was all kinds of confusing.  The highlights just include the fact that it was cute and I love seeing films that star my faves... 7.5/10?  idk

Honorable mentions: The 5 Year Engagement (again probably only good due to it starring some of my faves) and Music and Lyrics (Probably better because of the fun music and the fact that while we were watching it I was also winning a game of scrabble)  

TV

Community

cool cool cool
Okay so I obviously love watching tv shows (#TVTaughtMeHowToFeel) and after finishing Orphan Black I needed something new to watch.  I had heard good things about Community and decided to give it a go, it was super easy to watch but I wasn't that into it until about half way through season 1.  I can't remember the exact point that the show became a firm favourite/obsession/way of life but it really escalated quickly - from my sister and I making up our own Troy and Abed inspired handshakes to us renaming one another to Abed and Annie in one anothers phones... I also may have considered buying an Annie Adderal Tshirt.  Basically it's about a community college study group (although at times it doesn't really seem to be about that at all).  It's so original and spends full episodes paying homage to famous films/sitcom tropes/breaking the fourth wall/creative episodes - there are musical episodes, claymation episodes, bottle episodes, puppet episodes, video game episodes, documentary episodes... It does get a little* crazy sometimes and goes way too far from time to time but it always finds it way back to the perfect balance of fun, funky and fresh.  So far there have been 6 seasons so now we are just waiting for the movie #Sixseasonsandamovie

*by a little crazy I mean it gets really crazy town banana pants.

Highlights
  • Troy and Abed  in the Morning 
  • Annie and Jeff (its so wrong yet so right #20YearAgeGapGoals)
  • The paintball episodes
  • Joel Mchale
  •  The musical numbers
  • Dean Pelton and his many many costumes
Honourable mention: The Office US - I'm only on season 3 thus far so I cant really give it a full review but its hella fun, stars so many great peeps and Jim and Pam give me life! 

MUSIC

Probably the best way to cover the music section is just to list the new songs currently in my spotify playlist, the songs I'm getting turnt up to rn if you will?

Drake - One Dance
Drake ft Rihanna - Too Good
Drake - Controlla
Gwen Stefani - Cool
Kate Nash - Merry Happy
Matt and Kim- Daybreak
Nina Nesbitt - Chewing Gum
Shura - What's It Gonna Be?
The 88 - At Least It Was Here
Charli XCX - You - Ha Ha Ha
Galantis - No Money


Honorable mentions - Marina And The Diamonds whole album Froot...
And Ellie Goulding is still 10/10 of course.

OTHER

You get 2 pig pics because they are so cute
Pokemon Go - Hella fun app that gets you out and about exploring the big city, catching pokemon one step at a time, risking getting run over due to lack of awareness of your surroundings.  Catching about a million and a half of the same Pokemon and doubting the existence of the few Pokemon you have actually heard of

Pigs - Pigs are just the darned cutest little (and many times not so little) animals out there.  Their little snouts and trotters.



little piggy 2 just wants to live a long piggy life

Vegetarian living - So I went from full on meat eater, to vegan to vegetarian.  I'm loving the meat free diet, I look at meat in a completely new way now and struggle to see how I ever ate it in the first place.  I now feel more worthy to declare myself as an animal lover.  One day after it becomes more accessible I would be more than happy to live a completely cruelty free diet life but currently I have found vegetarianism more achievable.  



The moral of the story is that Drake is actually very good and 2016 is probably the year of rap music (in my humble and very musically educated opinion)

Peace out, good vibes
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment