Wednesday 23 March 2016

Cat City, Cat, Cat, Cat City Bish: A Review of Cat Cafes

The Back Story

Many moons ago in the upper east side of Edinburgh I made a magnificent discovery... Cat Cafes!  I was in the kitchen minding my own business when something popped up on Facebook adversiting that a cat cafe would be opening for business in Edinburgh and instantly I needed all the deets.  Back then I had 2 wonderful cats in my life: Nacho and the late Harvey (the love of my life, I'm totally over his death and not at all emotionally scared for life! Life is great ha ha ha I'm totally not laughing to mask the fact that I'm dying inside #EasyBreezy).  Anyhoo, when it comes to cats I have always been a big fan!  After I lost Harvey I wanted to fill the place in my chest where my heart used to be with cats on cats on cats but similarly to when they tried to make Amy Winehouse go to rehab I my mum said no no no.  The only logical solution appeared to be for me to move into a cat cafe but after checking their website I found that they did not provide short or long term accommodation so that plan was foiled before it had even started.  I was going to have to settle for a simple visit but this place was booked out for like 84 years.  
Catpawcino

Last summer my little sister and I were going down to London and guess what London has?  A cat cafe!  I had planned to invited Taylor Swift to come with my sister and I to the cat cafe after her performance at Hyde Park but that didn't happen because the London cat cafe was even more booked out that the Edinburgh one (that is 100% the only reason that plan didn't work out!).  Then I went to New York with B and L and I was desperate to go to the Cat Cafe but L and B said no no no (I never expected my life to turn into an Amy Winehouse song but I guess we can't predict our future...).  L and B said we would go to the cat cafe in Edinburgh after New York but we didn't untilllll they booked it for my birthday during a day I was only placement and we didnt get to go once again.  I smiled and smile and laughed because my dreams were dead, similarly to when Blair didn't get into Yale and her father stopped loving her briefly (at least she still had dorota and a trust fund) what did I have?  (Other than my health, the knowledge that Sea World would stop breading whales and the knowledge that I still had Nacho #LastCatStanding).

Then B and I went to Newcastle to see Ellie Goudling (a fellow self confessed cat lover) and as if by magic B and I walked right into a scene from one of my wildest dreams (ahhh ah ohhh) we found a cat cafe!  

The Review   

Chilling like a villian

The cat cafe that we had found was Catpawcino In Newcastle which faces out onto the river Tyne.  Entrance was £5 and that covered the cost of your first drink - it seems that paying an entrance fee is pretty standard at this kind of establishment.  Upon entering B and I were asked to use hand sanitizer and read a list of rules, then because we had literally turned up at opening time we had the full run of the place.  I would recommend turning up early because we got all the cats to ourselves and there was so much space to play with them.

Cat whisperer B

B ordered a diet coke and I got a hot chocolate which arrived with the outline of a cat on the top of it (made out of chocolate power I believe).  There were lots of cat themed sweet snacks, however; because it was so early B and I passed on these.  

There were 6 cats in the cafe:
  • Ebby a Scottish Fold 
  • Alfie a Ragdoll
  • Davin a Point Birman
  • Chocolate a Point Birman
  • Betty a British Blue
  • Flora (The youngest and newest kitten who's breed I cannot confirm)
There was a little photo album which provided you with pictures of each cat and a profile telling you about their back ground and things that they liked.  The staff were very helpful and told B and I which cats liked being brushed the most and which ones where the most playful.  There was a basket full of cat brushes and toys for us to use and we were given a handful of treats to give to the cats too.  One of the kittens was particularly playful running around the cafe after the toys that B and I had selected

Flora
A separate room had been sectioned off for the cats to go to if they wanted some piece and quiet where customers were not allowed to go but at the time that B and I went the cats were all very friendly and more than happy with our company.  I believe that most cat cafes give you a time limit to for your stay (about an hour and a half I think) but were were not told anything about this probably because we were the only people there first thing on a Wednesday morning.  
 What I would say is don't let the entrance fee put you off, it is definitely worth it and once you subtract the price of your first drink from the entrance fee you have really only ended up paying like £2.50 to get in.  Spending time with the cats if a really good was for destressing and how often do you get to spend time with a bunch of adorable cats alongside your morning coffee?  

The moral of the story is cats are incredible and their tails and their feet and their noses and you'd have to be a fool to pass up the opportunity to visit a cat cafe!
 

Ebby
Flora




XOXO Queen G







No comments:

Post a Comment